We all want to fit in. We all want to belong. But the irony is that the greatest barrier to belonging is the need to fit in. Let that just sink in for a moment!
What’s the difference you may ask? Fitting in is when we adapt to the world around us. It presents a certain (temporary) comfort but no genuine identity. But belonging is standing in your authenticity to be a part of something greater.
Fitting in has to do with everyone else. But belonging has everything to do with you. You will flourish when you are YOU!
- The greatest barrier to belonging is fitting in.
- We try so hard to fit in that we don’t understand what it means to truly belong.
- I’ve tried my whole life to fit in at school or work, with family and friends.
- Belonging is an innate human desire to be a part of something greater than ourselves.
- We try to acquire this belonging by seeking approval.
- Fitting in is a hollow substitute for true belonging.
- Whether we are extroverted or introverted, we all yearn to belong and actively seek to fulfil this desire.
- True belonging takes hold when you reach a state of pure self-acceptance.
- Unpacking the concept of being comfortable on your own skin and non-judgemental observation.
- Redefining your entry criteria to fitting in and being accepted.
- Adult learning model – unconsciously incompetent to unconsciously competent.
- Understanding your triggers through observation to begin the journey of self-acceptance.
- You will flourish when you are YOU!
Download this podcast
Right click on the link here and click ‘save as’ to download this episode to your computer.