Armed with YOUR lifetime of experience, are you tempted to make a business from your knowledge? There is no better time than now, and once you know how to protect your intellectual property you won’t have to worry about people stealing your ideas!
In today’s episode, intellectual property lawyer Kelley Keller talks about how to take what you know and monetise it, at which point you should legally protect your intellectual property, how to do it yourself, and when to seek expert assistance.
- [01.03] Using categories of intellectual property law to help identify how you could monetise what you KNOW.
- [03.32] Ways that you can process HOW you do what comes naturally to you.
- [05.44] Your Superpower – an exercise.
- [06.22] The magic word – it’s all in the HOW!
- [08.03] Different approaches to monetisation.
- [12.13] The point at which what you know becomes intellectual property.
- [13.23] The three criteria for your creation that would make copyright legally enforceable, as well as the value of registering your work.
- [16.42] A breakdown of how you can go about protecting your intellectual property.
- [21.00] Your intellectual property – a three-part test to determine whether to legally protect it.
- [25.33] Protecting your intellectual property yourself, and when to seek expert assistance.
Learn more about Kelley
To connect with Kelley, schedule a complimentary 15 minutes consultation with her via her website, or email her directly at [email protected].
For more information on the subject, check out Kelley’s intellectual property blog, and her podcast.
Links mentioned in this episode
Kelley’s blog posts on demystifying trademark and copyright symbols.
Related posts and episodes
- Build your hobby into a business
- Three ways to nail the idea for your new business
- Procrastination – 6 steps to beating it!
- Your income has suddenly dried up… now what?
- Empowering ‘perfectly imperfect’ entrepreneurs with Nwabisa Mayema
Get the first two chapters of my book FREE!
You can get the first two chapters of my book free HERE
Get my book
- If you want a paperback copy and you’re in South Africa, visit my site www.LisaLinfield.com
- If you want a Kindle copy or a paperback anywhere in the world, visit Amazon
“One of the challenges is that most of us don’t know how we do what we do.” – Lisa Linfield
“Information is free, but education is not. Because information informs, and education transforms.” – Kelley Keller
“People pay for transformation and not information.” – Kelley Keller
“Your knowledge is either going to be organized as a journey or as an ongoing process.” – Kelley Keller
“For most people, they need education and some practical guidance before they actually need a lawyer.” – Kelley Keller
“On your own you can develop what we call just good best practices.” – Kelley Keller
“Good fences make good neighbours.” – Kelley Keller
“Lawyers understand the law that gave you the intellectual property right in the first place, and they can give you a strategy and make sure that you’re protecting your stuff in the right way.” – Kelley Keller